Oseltamivir is also known by the brand name Tamiflu
Tamiflu comes in capsule and oral suspension dosage forms
Tamiflu is taken for treatment or prevention of influenza infection. For treatment, Tamiflu is taken twice daily, but for prevention it is taken once daily. Tamiflu works best if taken within two days of the start of symptoms, or exposure to the flu. How often and how long you take Tamiflu can be different depending on what you are taking it for, so make sure you take it as instructed. It is important to finish this medication, even if symptoms disappear. Tamiflu can be taken with or without food, but if stomach upset occurs, take it with food. Tamiflu works best if you take it on schedule. Tamiflu cannot be used to treat a cold, and be aware that you can still spread the flu while taking Tamiflu.
If you miss a dose:
• Take the missed dose as soon as you think about it.
• If it is close to your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal dosing schedule.
• Do not take two doses at the same time, or extra doses.
Some common side effects of Tamiflu are headache, upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting
Some less common side effects of Tamiflu are pain and nausea.
Some rare side effects of Tamiflu include abnormal thinking or behavior, swelling, anxiety,
Feeling cold, trouble thinking, nightmares, seizures, and skin rash.
Do not take Tamiflu if:
• You are taking Probenecid,
• Or within two weeks of getting a flu shot.
While taking Tamiflu, remember, it is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have:
• signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, hives, itching, tightness in the chest, trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking, swelling of the face, tongue, or throat
• change in thinking
• changes in behavior
• problems speaking
• If you have signs of Stevens-Johnson syndrome, such as red, blistered, swollen or peeling skin, with or without fever, red or irritated eyes,
• sores in the mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
• If your condition does not improve, or you have new or worsening symptoms
• Or if you start taking new medications, vitamins, or supplements.
Tamiflu liquid should be stored in the refrigerator. Shake well before giving a dose, and measure doses carefully using a measured spoon, cup, or oral syringe.