This video addresses common misconceptions about sunscreen and skin cancer. A certain number of individuals believe that sunscreen causes skin cancer and so they avoid using it. This video will cover the different types of radiation, how UV radiation leads to skin cancer and indicate studies that prove that sunscreen helps protect against skin cancer.
This video was made by McMaster Demystifying Medicine students Kavena Sivakumar, Alice Nassar, Halla Rahman, Waleed Dhillon and Elise MacLean
Copyright McMaster University 2017
Please let us know how you liked this video and suggest additional topics for us to demystify below.
1. Armstrong, B. K., & Kricker, A. (2001). The epidemiology of UV induced skin cancer. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 63(1), 8-18.
2. Soehnge, H., Ouhtit, A., & Ananthaswamy, O. N. (1997). Mechanisms of induction of skin cancer by UV radiation. Front Biosci, 2, D538-D551.
3. de Gruijl, F. R., van Kranen, H. J., & Mullenders, L. H. (2001). UV-induced DNA damage, repair, mutations and oncogenic pathways in skin cancer. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 63(1), 19-27. (de Gruijl et al., 2001)
4. Dennis, L. K., Freeman, L. E. B., & VanBeek, M. J. (2003). Sunscreen use and the risk for melanoma: a quantitative review. Annals of internal medicine, 139(12), 966-978.
5. Ulrich, C., Jürgensen, J. S., Degen, A., Hackethal, M., Ulrich, M., Patel, M. J., ... & Stockfleth, E. (2009). Prevention of non-melanoma skin cancer in organ transplant patients by regular use of a sunscreen: a 24 months, prospective, case–control study.
British Journal of Dermatology, 161(s3), 78-84.
6. van der Pols, J. C., Williams, G. M., Pandeya, N., Logan, V., & Green, A. C. (2006). Prolonged prevention of squamous cell carcinoma of the skin by regular sunscreen use. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention Biomarkers, 15(12), 2546-2548.
7. "CDC - Guidelines For School Programs To Prevent Skin Cancer". Cdc.gov. N.p., 2017. Web. 1 Mar. 2017.
8. “Sun Protection Information & More | Cleveland Clinic”. Cleveland Clinic. N.p., 2017. Web. 2 March 2017.